choke hold / strangle hold

Thursday, June 02, 2005

shipbuilding

I have been thinking a lot about houses/ housing/ homes lately. At present, the vast (VAST!) majority of my friends live somewhere that they pay rent, be this an apartment, condo, house, room in a house, co-op, university/ college residence, etc.

Very few of the people I know seem to have a concrete plan for purchasing housing. I am curious as to why this is.

Many of my friends are college or university educated. And while we are surely not in the ‘entrepreneur’ category, many of us have decent/ okay/ pretty well paying jobs.

Up until a few months ago, I had imagined that becoming a home-owner would never be in the cards for me. However, the more that I think about it, the more that I realize that being a renter is more of a privilege for someone like me than being a mortgage payer would be.

I am not sure how to explain this.

Man, I long for a day that everything isn’t about my health – but in this case, my health now plays a central role in the type of housing I choose. Having an unpredictable illness has eliminated any desire that I ever had to have the freedom of being a renter. I just can’t do it. It is not, in any way viable for me. I know how fucking shitty disability income is. I know what it is like to live on welfare. I know that my long term disability insurance at work is going to do every possible thing to deny any claim that I will ever attempt to make. What I now know is that no human should be expected to live on $500/m. – whether they are abled or disabled. You cannot rent a place, have enough money to feed yourself, and pay for your medical costs by the means available to someone who is disabled and cannot work.

And therefore, I am putting my money on mortgage insurance. At least this way, on the inevitable day when I go blind (again), cannot get out of bed because of fatigue/ pain (again), or am struck with mobility issues that disallow me from doing my job – at least then my whole sense of home and safety and purpose and place might not come crashing down.

People continue to wonder what I am doing so far out in the ‘inconvenient’ suburbs. Well, I am hashing out a plan to finance the purchase of a small, air-conditioned, wheelchair accessible apartment. I *do* have the luxury of living rent-free (for the time being). I am learning how to make the most of it.

Houses, anyone?

2 Comments:

At 8:32 AM, Blogger goodurs said...

i'm really into the idea of people saving their money to buy somewhere to live. moreso than buying a car or anything else. i guess cause it was ingrained in me at a young age. travel, and buy somewhere to live, the two most important things.

 
At 11:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I own a house and you should too. WHy the F*^K not??? We're not little kids anymore you know? My only problem with it is that I've been single most of my life so paying the mortgage instalments and other life expenses gets very stressfull some months... oh well! Get a spot in my building and we can yuppi out together!

-david

 

Post a Comment

<< Home