choke hold / strangle hold

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

three most important girls

I was talking to U. about how when I was younger I remember what a struggle it was for me and my friends to keep jobs. It’s not that we would get fired or layed off or anything… it was just the idea of staying somewhere for more than a couple of months seemed astronomical. It may have also been that the majority of us were working under the table at shifty jobs because we were only 12 – 16 years old.

My best friend was a champion because she held on those extra months and stayed the FULL YEAR at mcdonald’s. We both agreed that this would look AWESOME on her resume. I think she quit mere days after her one year anniversary. Oh lord, it’s hard to find meaningful employment when you are young, suburban low class, straight-edge, and vegan.

And this brings me to my next point. This week I celebrate having completed my first 6 months at my current job. I passed the test. The results are in. It’s official. I am now a permanent employee (yeah, that’s right – just TRY and fire me!). Along with this, I receive a raise and a free lunch (yes, there IS such thing). In many ways, even after 6 months, I feel like I have just arrived here. I think I am gonna stick around for a bit, and not just because it is going to look so WICKED on my resume.

5 Comments:

At 4:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right on -- I completely lost track of the time. Congratulations on becoming permanent!

 
At 9:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

holy - it's been that long, huhn?! time sure goes by fast when you're having fun. what say you to a lunch celebration?

d.

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger rabblerocket said...

yay, congratulations!!

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger goodurs said...

whoa! you got a job? :o)

i think dalia's on the right track... a lunch celebration is in order. for two reasons: the amount of time, and because you like your job.

 
At 11:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wahoo! good for you! I'm the king of holding jobs. Or do they hold me? Jobs suck, go skateboarding.

...big bang, big crunch, you know there's no free lunch.

-david

 

Post a Comment

<< Home