choke hold / strangle hold

Friday, June 10, 2005

snowglobe

"Nobody move… this is perfect."
- danny michel

I realize now that I am not the only one who has to wake up some mornings and *remind* myself that my life is pretty sweet. I guess because I never had to be this conscious about it - - - I kept feeling that these ‘reminders’ that I give myself were somehow contrived.

But they’re not. Maybe it is mindfulness that I am learning, something that I didn’t know enough about to value for in the past.

I don’t know.

But I wake up these days and remind myself how well things are going – and that some of that can be attributed to me – and the rest of it can be attributed to something unnameable.

One of my counseling professors insists that everyone should go through a full blown panic attack and a full blown depression at some point in their lives. He believes that experiencing these things is essential to becoming a human. I smirk every time he says that. But I suppose that somewhere inside of me, I agree with him.

Statistically speaking, people are actually *more accurate* at assessing their life situations when they are depressed. I will find a link that explains this further in the future. The gist of it is that people are able to more clearly assess what the current situation of their life is, how it got to be that way, and where the responsibility lays – when they are depressed. This is scary, I know… but makes sense when you think about it.

I guess my interest lays in what people do with those stark realizations once they emerge from their depression or states of panic.

Me? I prefer to remind myself that ‘everything is going extremely well’, follow through with my interests and commitments, and dream up big and small adventures to take myself through.

And so, dear readers, if necessary – enjoy a panic attack or depressive episode today… word on the streets is that it may do you some good in the long run.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home