choke hold / strangle hold

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

toledo

It’s unexpected, really.

In the last week I have run into a best friend from junior high and a Montessori teacher that taught my grade 4 class. Both stopped and wanted to talk.

Less than 6 months ago, my brother and I were both hunted down and invited to a Montessori elementary school reunion.

This year will mark 10 years since I graduated from my high school and someone is bound to organize some sort of reunion.

And to those who know me, those that knew me, and those that think they know me – it is entirely unexpected that I do not attend reunions. One would think that I would jump at the chance to socialize, to talk shop, to reconnect, to chew the fat.

It is not so. The idea of being stuck in some hall or gymnasium or classroom or conference room with people that I no longer know and have made no effort to keep in touch with sounds absolutely hellish to me.

Michelle and Romy’s High School Reunion aside, I am under the impression that people attend reunions for one of two reasons: 1/ to prove to themselves and to others that they are not a loser after all. 2/ to prove to other certain people that those other certain people are still losers after all these years.

Is this cynical? Admittedly so. But really, if you are interested in what what’s-his-face has been doing since you hung out in grade 9, why not look for him on your own? Why did you not bother to hold on to his email address or phone number? What kind of meaningful exchange is going to happen under the ‘Class of 1995’ handpainted banner?

When the invite comes for the high school reunion, I may just send a profile for them to share. But it is a toss up with which direction I will go…. brutal morbid truth vs. amazingly amusing lies.

I will keep you posted.

1 Comments:

At 9:37 PM, Blogger goodurs said...

yeah, people who never really knew me in highschool don't understand why i had no interest in going to last year's reunion, and possibly even less interest in going to this year's. if i wanted to be friends with you, and if you want to be friends with me, you could have got my phone number from my mom's store while you were visiting.

oh, you forgot? thank god.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home